Monday, August 17, 2009

The last week or so.

On Saturday, August 8 I helped out at vacation Bible school at church. Except they do not call it VBS, they just say Bible camp. That was fun. We started out singing and then we went to small group, which I led. Then we played with modeling clay. Every kid made a man. I don’t know if the other Korean teacher told them to do that or what. Someone told me that Koreans are not taught to think for themselves. If the older kid made a man, then the rest of the kids would follow suit. And then a Korean missionary who is serving in Canada spoke and showed a video of the horrid conditions in North Korea. Rob spoke about the orphanage he helps at. Then, we finished by having fried chicken and pizza. Sometimes I think Koreans are more American (in food anyways) than we are.

Well, first the bad news. I found out on Tuesday that August 28 is my last day at my English academy. My boss told me that we don’t have enough students. So, I have been looking high and low for a job. I have talked to people at church that have a lot of contacts as well as I applied to several jobs online. I have gotten several responses back via email. One recruiting agency called me to set up an interview. On Thursday I had supper (at 10pm) after class with a Korean teacher at McDonald’s no less. That was about the first time we really talked to any degree. She gave me the dish on the academy, the boss, and the Korean teacher that left after less than a week. A Korean teacher left a week ago, and her replacement sat in on her classes for a couple of days. But, she worked for three days, then abruptly quit. Supposedly she did not like all of the work that was required of her. And I learned my supper partner, Daisy, wants to study in Canada. I always like it when people pursue their goals.
I have been thinking about things I want to do if and when I leave Korea. For one, I want to go to Seoul. I want to go there, especially to see the electronics market that stretches for several blocks. And I want to go to China. I had tentatively planned to go to Beijing over Christmas, but I have not heard any response from people. Jenny is planning on going to China, she has her visa now. That is one country I want to visit before I leave. I do want to see the Cherry Blossoms in Japan though.

I met a girl a few weeks ago who last taught in Egypt. That sounds interesting to say the least. She said she did not have to wear the head to toe garb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

map


View korea in a larger map